Episode 48 of the Sheffield Digital Podcast features an interview with Martyn Eggleton from UTC Sheffield and two fantastic computing students, Erin and Mercedes, who are fresh back from a successful World Educational Robot (WER) Contest.
Sheffield’s young robotics students continue to reach and perform brilliantly at international competitions. It’s a fantastic advert for the city’s computing programmes and it is great to hear Martyn talk about the UTC’s approach and philosophy.
Even better, hearing about the impact the course and competition has had on Erin and Mercedes is so inspiring. Dividing the engineering and programming duties, the pair just got second prize at the WER Contest in Shanghai. They are the first students from the UK to do so!
Grab your headphones and enjoy listening to their experience first hand. And if you’d like to sponsor or find a way to support Sheffield’s robotics students in 2020, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll point you in the right direction.
Thanks to Rebel Base Media
This episode was recorded at Rebel Base Media in their new podcasting studio based at Sheffield Technology Parks . The studio is fantastic and has all the gear you need to produce a properly professional podcast. They also offer podcasting advice and you can even rent a mobile studio for recording in the field.
Subscribe to the show
If you’d like to have new episodes of the show appear right in your podcast player, you can subscribe via our page on Apple Podcasts or search for us in your podcast app of choice!
Notes and links
Every episode comes with a list of links to all of the various people, companies and topics that we reference.
- Martyn Eggleton – Skills Trainer Creative Digital Media & Computing – UTC Sheffield | LinkedIn
- News – Page 2 of 23 – UTC Sheffield
- Computing – UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park
- Meet Dr Melissa Butt, Founder of Sheffield-based Discovery STEM Education » Sheffield Digital Skills Action Plan
- WER robotics training
- World Educational Robot (WER) Contest
- VEX Robotics Competition – Wikipedia
- VEX Robotics – VEX Robotics
- FIRST Tech Challenge UK | Building More Than Robots : FIRST Tech Challenge UK
- Episode 27: Sheffield to Shanghai kids return to share their Chinese adventure – Sheffield Digital
- Meet our members | Sheffield Digital
- Become a member of Sheffield Digital
Did I miss something you’re looking for? Just get in touch and let me know.
Join the conversation
Thank you for the music
Thanks again to Alex Mclean – aka Yaxu – for the show’s intro music, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.