Tes is an international provider of digital solutions, which is passionate about using technology to make life easier for schools and teachers. All products and services are built with teachers and schools needs at the core, ensuring they are innovative, trusted education solutions.
Working with our Product teams Tes Engineers will be given the autonomy and purpose to develop solutions to challenging business problems rapidly delivering value to teachers and schools around the globe.
You will be joining an evolving agile team that includes Scrum Masters, Product Managers, QAs, and fellow Engineers. Working alongside our Platform team and your Scrum team you will deploy your code to all environments and release it to our customers. You will be working in a team that actively encourages openness and respect of one another. You will work alongside your team using transparent processes to inspect, adapt and continuously learn and improve. Our platform is composed predominantly of Node and React micro-services. They run in Docker containers (orchestrated with Kubernetes) in AWS (Amazon Web Services), alongside our core CMS built in Drupal. We follow a micro-services architectural approach with a bias towards slightly larger services focused on domain-specific functionality.
We have over 200 services running in our live environment maintained by several small but highly effective teams. We have a variety of supporting technologies including MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ and Redis. We use React Native for our native mobile apps.
- Work within a Scrum Team to deliver agreed functionality fit for release throughout each sprint cycle.
- Actively participate in scrum events and workshops, including sprint planning and retrospectives.
- Work alongside other Engineers and Heads of Product Development to contribute to Tes’ Architecture and Engineering culture.
- Work within a BDD (Behaviour Driven Development) and TDD (Test Driven Development) approach to ensure solutions are robust and technically fit for purpose.
- Bringing in innovative ideas on technology and process to improve the product and delivery.
What will you need to succeed?
- Experience of working within a team following Agile methodologies (preferably Scrum).
Preferably experience using Node frameworks such as Express.
- An understanding of design patterns, asynchronous programming, queuing, and caching.
- A working knowledge of some or all the following frontend technologies: HTML, CSS, React and Webpack or similar.
- A working knowledge of some or all the following backend technologies: web and event based microservices, Node, RabbitMQ.
- Familiarity with some SQL or NoSQL systems such as MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB or Elasticsearch / Solr desirable.
- Working with containers microservices using technologies like Docker for local development and Kubernetes for scaling services in our live environment.
- Good written and verbal skills, able to translate concepts into easily understood diagrams and visuals for both technical and non-technical people alike.
- Happy to contribute and share knowledge amongst their team and TES Engineering via knowledge sharing meetings.
- You do not have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed, you will be assessed on your willingness to learn and to collaborate with others.
What do you get in return?
- 25 days annual leave rising to 30
- 5% pension after probation
- Hybrid working, 3+ days in the office
- Health care cash plan
- State of the art city centre offices
- Access to a range of benefits via My Benefits World
- Discounted city centre parking
- Free eye care cover
- Life Assurance
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- EAP (Employee assistance programme)
- Monthly Tes Socials
- Access to an extensive Learning and Development menu
Who are Tes?
Tes powers schools and enables great teaching worldwide, by creating intelligent online products and services to make the greatest difference in education.
For more than 100 years, we’ve supported schools and been a champion of great teaching. As education is changing, so are we. We’ve grown to provide a wide range of products to help schools and students flourish.
We work together with teachers and schools to build trusted education solutions that help them to be the best they can be. From safeguarding and compliance, to staff and pupil management, and professional development and SEND provision, our innovative and flexible services help teachers and school leaders worldwide to provide the best education to millions of children.
Tes has over 13m teachers in its online community and working relationships with 25,000 schools in over 100 countries. Tes brings educators together online so they can share expertise and teaching resources and it provides them with vital information, research and analysis about education via its fully digital Tes Magazine.
Tes is a global company employing over 600 people and operating across 10 offices, including in London, Sheffield, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Dubai.
We are proud of our people centric culture where everyone is driven to achieve the same goal. We are an agile organisation striving for continuous improvement. We invest in our people with extensive learning and development opportunities and support our colleagues with various mentoring and career enhancement programmes.
Tes Global will ensure all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or on the basis of disability. We invite applicants to contact us directly to identify any additional support required.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.